Good nutrition is a vital thing for a healthy life. The food we eat gives our body the necessary requirements for it to function properly. Now imagine giving your body the wrong requirements, your body will become weak, and your health status will decline.
On the other hand, when you also load your body with too much food, it may not be able to properly use the excess foods. This may lead to overweight and you risk developing diseases and conditions such as heart disease, diabetes, etc. In summary, we can conclude that Food plays a vital role in the center of a healthy body system.
What is the purpose of food in our body system?
Food supplies nutrients. These nutrients serve as the powerhouse for the body cells to function properly. Every class of food has its nutrients and its purpose. If any of the cells can’t get its necessary nutrients, it began to diminish in health. According to Stephen F. from the Austin State University, School of Human Sciences, he stated that
“Nutrients are essential nourishing substances in food that is needed for development, growth, and maintenance of the body cells so that the body can function at its maximum efficiency.”
When we refer to nutrients as “essential”, we mean the body cells can’t survive without nutrients. If certain nutrients are not present, that aspect of function declines resulting in a decline in human health. In order words, we can deduce from the relationship between food and nutrients that food supplies the body the information on how to function.
Instead of excluding what to eat in food, we will say we should concentrate on what to include in food. Stop looking at food as an enemy, start seeing food as a tool to improve your immune system, and reduce disease. The better the diet plan the more sustainability and immune the body system get.
What are the essential nutrients that the body needs?
The body systems need six (6) vital nutrients for proper functioning. The dietary system or food we eat should contain all these six nutrients for the body to develop and work at maximum efficiency. These nutrients include:
- Carbohydrates (CHO): its primary function Is to provide the body with energy through the production of glucose which converts to energy.
- Proteins: Protein is a vital nutrient in the body as it performs numerous functions. These functions include: repairing body tissues, control metabolic reactions, and coordinates bodily functions.
- Vitamins, Minerals: these two nutrients are primarily responsible for the bolster of the immune system, healing of shore bones, and healing of wounds. Aside from these basic functions, they also perform hundreds of roles in the body.
- Water: the body system uses water in all its organs and cells and tissues to help control the body temperature and maintain other bodily functions.
Each of these nutrients contains a certain number of elements that are useful to the body such as magnesium, calcium, iron iodine, etc.
What roles do the elements in nutrient plays?
We have many elements in the body that are responsible for one or two functions such as magnesium. Below is listed elements with their functions
- Immune function: the elements that responsible include, riboflavin, selenium, magnesium, vitamin C vitamin A, vitamin E, zinc, vitamin B-6, folic acid
- Tissue formation and repair: vitamin A, vitamin E, copper, riboflavin, magnesium, vitamin B6, vitamin C
- Metabolism: thiamin, vitamin B6, magnesium, potassium, niacin, riboflavin, vitamin C, folic acid
- Nerve Impulses: potassium, calcium, magnesium, sodium, vitamin B6, copper, folic acid, B-12, vitamin C.
In conclusion, you will notice magnesium seems to be responsible for all the major body functions. This shows you how vital magnesium is to the body system. When you eat magnesium-rich food, you supply your body system with vital information that it needs for full performance.
Image Credits: https://unsplash.com/